In present scenario, number of health problems are increasing. People suffer from different health problems like Piles. Many people who suffer from piles feel embarrassed to see their doctor about problem. It has been seen that piles can affect both men and women.WHAT HAPPENS IN PILES ?
In piles veins around the anus or lower rectum gets inflamed and swollen.
Anal canal is last part of large intestine which is about 4-5 cm long. It is situated between rectum and anus. Lower part of anal canal has opening in the outside known as anus which passes faeces. Its inner lining contains small blood vessels. Swelling may occur inside and around lower rectum and around anal opening.
Piles are also known as hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids are masses, cushions of tissue in the anal canal - these are full of blood vessels, support tissue, muscle and elastic fibers.
These arise from several different factors like increased pressure of internal or external veins around the anal canal, improper diet, constipation & hereditary etc.TYPES OF PILES:-
PILES ARE CLASSIFIED INTO TWO CATEGORIES:- 1. INTERNAL PILES
It is the most common than external hemorrhoids. It occurs above 2-4 cm from the opening of anus. These are generally painless because there are less pain sensing nerves in the rectum.
Internal hemorrhoids are categorized into different grades:-
- Grade 1 or First degree:- These are common. In this, the hemorrhoid tissue bulges into lumen of anal canal and small swelling may occur on the inside lining of anal canal. These cannot be seen or felt from outside.
- Grade 2 or Second degree:- These are larger. It may be partly pushed out from the anus when you go to the toilet but quickly goes back.
- Grade 3 or Third degree:- In this, pile mass hang out when you go to toilet. You may feel one or more as small soft lumps hang from anus. However, you can push them back into anus.
- Grade 4 or Fourth Degree:- Pile mass permanently hangs out from anus which cannot go back to anus. It is quite large.
It occurs in the lower part of anal canal. It is painful condition because there are lots of nerve fibers which are responsible for pain.3. INTERNO- EXTERNO (MIXED) PILES
In this condition both internal and external piles occur together.PILES SYMPTOMS - WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?
Symptoms may vary from person to person. In some cases, the person suffering from piles may not realize the symptoms of piles.Some common signs and symptoms of piles are following:- Primary Symptoms
- Bleeding on defecation: During or after defecation the bleeding occurs.
- Prolapse of pile mass: It is seen in larger hemorrhoids and it usually occurs at the time of defecation. Generally it is painless.
- Pain and itching in anal region.
- Mucus discharge: Mucus is produced by secretory columnar epithelium.
- Pruritus: Mucus discharge can cause irritation of skin which results in pruritus.
- Pregnancy: It is the most common cause of piles.
- Ageing: With the increase in age, tissues in the lining of anus become less supportive.
- Sitting posture: People with long hours sitting job are prone to piles.
- Improper Diet: Eating junk foods and diet lacking in fiber contributes to piles.
Piles can be diagnosed on the basis of patient's history and rectal examination.
- History of Patient: It includes family history of piles, bowel movement and appearance of stool.
- Rectal examination: Rectal examination includes two tests:-
- Physical examination - In this, doctor examine patient's rectum with gloved finger.
- Proctoscopy (Anoscopy) - An instrument is used named as proctoscope which is used to examine the lining of rectum.
If piles is left untreated it can leads to serious medical problem and can also be a symptom of bigger problem. The most common problem is "Strangulation" means the blood supply cut down which can cause extreme pain and leads to tissue death (gangrene). Another problem is Anemia that occurs due to chronic blood loss from piles in which if you have no enough red blood cells to carry oxygen to your cells that may results in fatigue and weakness.